Skip to content ↓

Our Wessex family of schools

Year 11 Football Team Win to Book Place in PEDDSA Cup Semi-Final

The year 11 football team faced a very physical QE School side who were current holders of the PEDDSA Cup from last season. Purbeck having lost last time out in the Dorset Cup to Leaf Academy had picked themselves up and resultantly turned out 2-0 winners to progress into the Semi-Final next week, ironically a re-match against Leaf Academy.

QE dominated the early exchanges, with some excellent last-ditch challenges from Ernie Trent, Lucas Poole and an extremely well-timed tackle from Leon Randall. Purbeck then started to get a foothold in the game, with Owen Sullivan holding the ball up well and interlinking with his wide players. Billy Carton flicked the ball around the corner to an ever-present Elliot Birtwhistle who was taken down on the edge of the box down the left-hand side. The resultant free-kick was struck so sweetly and crashed the upper right apex of the crossbar. QE then had a chance at the other end, with a slightly mis-timed challenge resulting in a penalty. Regan Normans mind games of jumping and shaking the bar whistle also practising his perfect star jumps clearly put the opposition striker off.

He blazed the penalty straight over the bar. Purbeck then dominated possession of the ball and created chance after chance. One falling to George Royan who put it wide and the other to Owen Sullivan who had a horrible bobble of the ball just before he pulled the trigger. Half time was even steven’s at 0-0, but with Purbeck on top.

The Purbeck boys continued their dominance after the break, playing some lovely football with the ball, but not converting any of their goal scoring opportunities. Purbeck rang the changes to freshen things up, and with 10 minutes left to play a moment of team brilliance occurred to put the boys 1-0 up. The ever-present David Taylor won the ball from right back and played it into Ollie Hellas. He then played a lovely ball down the channel to Owen Sullivan who ran down the right-hand side to cut the ball perfectly across the box to Tommy Willis. Tommy then buried the ball into the back of the net to huge celebrations. The sheer defensive effort of winning every ball over the next ten minutes was exasperating to say the least. Every first, second and third ball was competed for and QE just looked second best to everything. With 8 minutes to go, Elliot Birtwhistle drive down the right-hand side to slide the ball across to Owen Sullivan to make it 2-0 (done and dusted). There was still a chance for QE with minutes to go, which produced an outstanding save from Regan Norman diving to his right to tip it around the post.

The end score was 2-0, with it being incredibly hard to pick a MOM. Ollie Hellas was given it for just protecting the back four all afternoon, putting his foot in and turning defence to attack at any opportunity. Bring on the return of Leaf in the Semi-Final. It will be one hell of a re-match!!