Year 10 Boys and Girls become Dorset Handball Champions for the 4th Year in a row

The year 10 boys followed in the triumphant footsteps of the year 8 boys in successfully retaining the cup for the 4th year in a row. By all means this was not an easy feat this year, with the level of competition from Corfe Hills and QE significantly raised with both teams having Dorset and Regional Development squad players.

Purbeck got off to a very slow start in the group, narrowly losing to eventual finalists Corfe Hills where later Purbeck would get their revenge. After a stern talking to, the boys really cranked up their game by a couple of gears, beating Gillingham 8-2. Stand out performance in this game was George Maytum, scoring three goals from out wide on the wing.

Purbeck were then full of confidence, smashing Shaftesbury 11-2 with the ever so present man mountain Lewis Cartridge getting his first hat-trick of the afternoon with numerous others pitching in. A special mention to Ollie Peters scoring a great goal from out wide despite being half the size of his opposition marker. QE had two very good players and Purbeck really had to raise their game to get one foot in the final. Kyle Cavendish, Oscar Meaker and Joey Towers really stepped up defensively and made sure they limited their best plays to limited time and no space. This resultantly produced a 7-3 win with the student’s one game away from the final. At this point the boys were absolutely pumped and then destroyed Colfox 13-2 with Sam Bowen bagging four goals to his name. This set up a grand rematch with Corfe Hills which turned out to be an absolute spectacle.

Purbeck burst out of the blocks going up 4-1 with goals from Jamie Foskett, Kyle Cavendish, Joey Towers and Lewis Cartridge. But after some very dubious refereeing decisions Corfe Hills got back into the game leading 5-4 with 5 minutes to go. Purbeck then showed excellent resilience, drive and desire to take the game to them. After a double penalty save from Lewis Reeves Purbeck got right back into it with quick goals to Corfe’s one leaving the score at 6-6 with two minutes to go. After some great intricate passing and very good dummy fake from Joey Towers, the ever present George Maytum scored his tenth of the tournament from out wide. The defence was absolutely solid and with 30 seconds to go a long pass to Lewis Cartridge sealed the well-earned victory!

An exceptional team performance throughout the tournament in which the boys just got better and better game by game. The sheer fact that everyone scored within the tournament shows excellent team cohesion which epitomised the gold medals that end up around their necks. A special mention to Tommy O’Connell who represented the school for the first time.

Bring on the South-West championships in Paignton on 1st May. Could the boys get to nationals for the first time? Time will tell!

Team: Lewis Reeves, Tommy O’Connell, Lewis Cartridge, Oscar Meaker, Joey Towers, Kyle Cavendish, Ollie Peters, Jamie Foskett, Sam Bowen, George Maytum.

Mr Tarbard


The girls had been training hard all year for this competition and the pressure was on! The team was already a key player down with Sophia Goldsack unfortunately being injured. However the girls are a tight unit with huge versatility so although disappointed they knew what they had to do get the results!

Their first game was against Gillingham and the girls started off as they meant to go on. What a performance! The scoreboard soon started stacking up in our favour seeing spectacular goals from Emily Wilkinson, whose sneaky shots hit the backboard with power rendering the goal keeper helpless! The girls won that 10-0.

The second game was much the same story; the girls were quick, agile, and tactical, and Bethany Davies powered through the defence time and time again scoring.  Once again we came out winners beating Poole High 12-0.

Again in game three Amelie Hambidge, our goal keeper, played a blinder. With fearless determination she continued to keep a clean score sheet and another victory over QE 11-0.

Game four was probably the closest to tough opposition the girls came up against. However playing in the manner they were saw them victorious again. Robyn Nelson injured her knee and was a little shell shocked however, adrenaline pumping, she picked herself up off the floor and went on to score an amazing goal which saw her cover most of the court.  Super sub Molly Sumner came on in this game and her quick passing helped Jodie Johnson break free on the wing and with lightning speed she continued to score spectacular goals. The girls beat Shaftsbury 8-2.

The last game of the qualifiers against Budmouth was a slow started. Budmouth man marked which initially confused the girls. However they soon realised they could play a long ball and Michaela Barry who did a fantastic job as playmaker created some beautiful moves and played some outstandingly accurate long balls for Hollie Gate to score some monumental goals. The girls won this game 10-2 to secure their place in the final.

The girls were pumped and ready for the final, there was no doubt they would win this as all tournament they had been the team to watch. They did not disappoint, they outplayed Shaftsbury again, beating them 11-3. Goals were flying from all the team, both Emily and Jodie scored from the wings, Michaela popped one in from a beautiful switch, Hollie scored another penalty, Bethany powered through and continued to hit the back of the net. I cannot express how proud of them I was. In total between them the girls scored over 50 goals and only conceded 7. Their team effort and sheer determination are pivotal to their success, bring on South West as again they will be a team to be reckoned with!

Team: Bethany Davies (captain) Hollie Gate, Michaela Barry, Amelie Hambidge, Jodie Johnson, Emily Wilkinson, Robyn Nelson, Sophia Goldsack, Molly Sumner

Mrs Davies

Share this Post