Science Live in Bath
At the beginning of March, 44 of our Year 11 students went to GCSE Science Live in Bath; to see and hear five of Britain’s top scientists, all working at the cutting edge of their specialism.
The scientists were:
- Professor Robert Winston who gave fascinating a talk on bioethics and fertility.
- Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock. She gave a very energetic talk on astronomy and engineering telescopes.
- Professor Jim Al-Khalili is a professor of physics at the University of Surrey and also has a chair in the Public Engagement of Science. He gave a gripping explanation about the physics behind time travel.
- Dr Kate Lancaster is an experimental plasma physicist she talked about her work on nuclear fusion (and a little about fission).
- Professor Steve Jones who is a leading research geneticist (at University College London. He gave a thought-provoking lecture on how humans evolved.
“The Year 11 Science Live Trip was informative. Engaging and insightful. It demonstrated well the different areas of science and the careers it can lead to. All speakers were experts in their field, making the day educational as well as enjoyable. It was clear they knew what they were talking about and were passionate about their work. Overall, the day was a great experience.
Sophie Meaker Year 11