Returning to school
I want to write today to all parents/carers in response to the Government’s announcement yesterday about the reopening of schools next week. The aims of these changes are two-fold, one to try and reduce the impact of the new Covid strain, and secondly to allow time for schools to implement a testing system for students.
As a result of the Secretary of State’s statement, we will be implementing the following:
- The school will be open on Tuesday 5th January only for students who are categorised as vulnerable, or students of key worker families. This link takes you to the DfE web page that defines who fits into those categories: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision
- If you do fit into either of those categories and wish your child to return to school on Tuesday 5th January then please contact the school to indicate that you will doing this at email@example.com (if you have already done this then please don’t feel the need to contact again). School buses will be running as usual.
- There will be online learning for all year groups starting on Tuesday 5th January – this will be done through Microsoft Teams – all students are expected to log into Microsoft Teams and follow their normal timetable.
- If you are unsure how to access Teams, then please use the help sheet that is on the school website here: https://www.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk/information/it-help/teams/
- To find out where you can access more help for each subject area, please use the information available on the school website here: https://www.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk/information/the-purbeck-school-response-to-covid-19/. Alternatively, please contact the tutor of your child.
- If you do not have a device to access Teams, then please contact our school office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vocational exams scheduled for the first weeks of January will go ahead as planned.
- From Monday 11th January, all Year 11 and 13 students will be welcomed back into school – online learning will continue for all other year groups.
- From Monday 18th January, all year groups will be welcomed back into school.
I hope that the above clarifies the returning arrangements. We will do our very best to try and ensure that the education for your child is not disrupted.
We will be sending out more information out regarding testing for students early next week. There will also be information released next Tuesday on free school meals and how these can be claimed.
Finally, on behalf of everyone at The Purbeck School, can I wish everyone a Happy New Year.