Purbeck School Bike Launch
Sustrans Bike It Plus project launch on 21st October
I’d like to introduce an exciting project that is starting at The Purbeck School this year. Bike It Plus is run by Sustrans, the country’s leading sustainable transport charity, and helps more people to be able to cycle, scooter and walk to school.
I will be working with the school’s Sustrans Champion, Mr Potter-White and the school as a whole to promote cycling, scooting and walking in the following ways:
- By making sure school has the facilities needed by pupils who want to scoot or cycle to school, including secure storage
- By working with the local council to provide Bikeability cycle training to help pupils ride safely and feel more confident on their bikes
- By organising promotional activities and events to encourage pupils to cycle and scoot to school
- By involving local shops, clubs and other organisations to help us
- By working with parents so that you can help support the project
Cycling is an excellent way for people to travel to school, as it is good for your health, good for the environment, and it helps to develop independence and road safety skills. When more people walk, cycle and scoot to school, this reduces the number of cars in the area which helps to make the neighbourhood a quieter, safer and less congested place.
To get things going we are holding a Bike Breakfast event on Monday 21st October when each student who cycles to school will receive a canteen voucher. As an added bonus, we will also be performing free Dr Bike checks on all student bikes brought to school.
Dr Bike checks are a safety check, not a service, but we may be able to do minor repairs so that your bike will run more smoothly. Please note that where parts are in bad condition or of poor quality, we are unlikely to attempt repairs as this could lead to further damage but we will advise of the best action to take. Every bike we check will have a check sheet attached to it for your information.
I look forward to seeing you at our launch event, if you need help finding the best bike route to school, you may find www.cyclestreet.net useful.
To find out more, please visit www.sustrans.org.uk