Agenda Item 1: Knowledge Organisers
- Mr McNaughton shared the changes to the knowledge organisers proposed for next half term.
- There was a discussion about the way that the way the KO tests and the detentions are differentiated and whether students are treated differently in these two environments.
- Transition was suggested as something that could help parents understand how to support parents with Knowledge Organisers at home.
- Transition meeting with parents in year 8 would have been useful in introducing the Knowledge Organisers.
- It was agreed that there have been some extremely positive changes to the Knowledge Organisers and with effective transition next year they should be successfully reviewed.
- It was mentioned that there may need to be some apostrophe training for staff who are communicating outwards.
Agenda Item 2: Mrs Gregory – Pastoral
- Discussed the pastoral team and structures and the house system and the benefits compared to the year system.
- Discussed the roles of the people in the nest, house tutors and links with DSEN.
- The tutor programme was discussed and the rationale for each day was explained.
- Mrs Gregory spoke about the school pastoral structures being linked to Respect, Perseverance and Aspiration.
- Mrs Gregory spoke about the student lesson responsibilities and how they have been slightly adapted to push students to be extremely active in their own learning.
- It was questioned how parents find out about detentions and Mrs Gregory explained the text message system.
- Mrs Gregory brought forward the proposal of moving the same day detention system to a next day detention day detention system:
- It was suggested that there were benefits to the immediacy of the punishment.
- It was suggested that issues with mobile reception could lead to parents missing key messages.
- It was suggested that the next parent council meeting could take part in the school day and parents could have a look at behaviour across the school.
- Immediacy is excellent but inconvenience for parents is there.
- It was discussed whether parents needs to know about written warnings as well as 1s on the register.
- There was discussion about the uniform policy and guidance and whether it needs to have a better gender balance.
- Mrs Gregory spoke about the IBP plan and how they are reviewed each 6 weeks. She spoke about the differences between IBP 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- It was commented how excellent it was that the school is working with such a wide number of external agencies and how useful it is for the school to have expertise of NEST members who have come from different backgrounds.
- It was suggested that local businesses could maybe drafted in to support the schools in prize giving for celebrating success.
- It was suggested that celebrations for the older year groups may need a different form but it was also suggested that the prom attendance motivation is effective.
- It was discussed how house points and super 7 awards are not always linked to attainment but do recognise a wide range of students.
- Do parents have regular access to student exercise books?