At The Purbeck School, we want to support all students so that they are successful and achieve their potential. If your child is eligible for free school meals, then there are additional benefits.
Please see the information below to check if you are eligible. I would urge to register if you are entitled, even if you do not wish to claim free school meals at this point.
The benefits of being registered (other than receiving free school meals) also include:
- Entitlement to a bursary for 16-19 provision should your child stay on to study in the 6th form
- The school also receives additional funding which will enable us to spend on enhanced/additional academic provision
We have now moved to a cashless dining system. This will mean that students no longer need to sign for a meal. We are hoping this will increase uptake of this benefit.
If you have any queries please contact the main office firstname.lastname@example.org
Free School Meals – are you eligible?
Children whose parents who receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Employment Support Allowance (Income related)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to working tax credit and have an annual taxable income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) which from 6 April 2010 does not exceed £16,190
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the immigration and asylum act 1999
Due to the national roll out of Universal Credits, protection has been put in place for eligible children to continue to receive free school meals.
All children who receive free school meals will remain eligible until at least 31 March 2022. This also applies to any new children who are approved before this date. From 31 March 2022, any child receiving free school meals will remain eligible until they have graduated from that school phase (e.g. a child in reception on 31 March 2022 would remain eligible until they finished Primary School in 2028).
This means that between now and 31 March 2022, parents do not need to contact Dorset County Council to cancel free school meals, even if they feel that their child is no longer eligible.
More information about this and eligibility for free school meals can be found on Dorsetforyou.